Friday, February 19, 2010

Chrome running on USB stick

Posting this from a USB stick in Lab A running ChromeOS and logged into iGoogle. Boots up pretty quick and runs ok. Picked up the wired ethernet no problem. The username is facepunch and the password is facepunch.

What is weird is having an operating system with no apps or settings to tweak or all the other stuff. Takes a bit getting used to - the Apps menu lists a number of typical apps like Calculator, Calendar, Contacts but they are all web apps. Takes a bit of getting used to. I set up the first tab to go to my customized iGoogle page. I also added a bunch of extensions such as this blogger one, a facebook one, dictionary, local weather etc.

There are a couple of rough edges which is to be expected. There are frequently lags when your typing outpaces the system, it goes away for a second. This also affects the mouse - the polling seems off in that the mouse is not there when you go to move it. The workaround is to right click the mouse to 'wake it up' and then cancel the action.

1 comment:

Chromium newbie said...

I too am booting my laptop using a Chromium OS from a device/USB.
Wireless was easy but my MP3 player does not work, I found a work around if you're installed on the local machine, but not if you boot from a usb
..any advice how to fix this?